Oppose Pavilion Application at Planning Committee 4th November!
The Spaceship is Landing!
Planning application to be decided next week
Next Tuesday, 4th November, is decision day when the planning application for improvements to the Royal Hotel and new commercial buildings on the car park next to the hotel is due to be considered.
We are encouraging as many people as possible to come along to the meeting.
Our concerns centre on the planned 'pavilion', next to the Hotel and facing the Bath Grounds (shown above).
We have no objections to the proposed improvements and extension of the Royal Hotel itself as these are long overdue and will enhance Ashby and the Conservation area.
However, the proposed 'pavilion' is a substantial two storey building, with a larger footprint than the hotel itself, located in the conservation area, overlooking the Bath Grounds and between a pair of grade II* listed buildings.
• The design is wholly inappropriate for this very sensitive area;
• It will impact the character of the area due to its scale, proportions and massing;
• It has an imposing frontage on to the Bath Grounds;
• Important views within the conservation area will be lost;
• The proposed uses are contrary to planning policy;
• Car parking spaces for users of the Bath Grounds will be lost.
We are also concerned about the impact of the overall proposal on the Hastings Garden, where parking is planned. Little reassurance has been given about continued access by the public and the impact on trees in the area.
The application will be considered by the District Council planning committee on Tuesday 4th November, at the council offices in Coalville starting at 4:30pm. It's first on the agenda so you won't need to be there for too long!
Thank you for your time and support. Hope to see you on Tuesday.